RTEA REP COUNCIL MEETING
November 3, 2016
DENNIS B. O’BRIEN SCHOOL
Present: Sign in sheet passed around
Time Keeper: Sue Ritz
Call to Order: The meeting was called to order at the Dennis B. O’Brien School by Brian Adams at 4:02 p.m. in Room 5.
Co-President’s Report: Brian attended the Jim George Conference this weekend. It was a very interesting night – the biggest gripe discussed was how we are all working hard and not getting any more money for it due to Chapter 78 and the health benefits going up. We need to start thinking about what our plan will be for next years’ negotiations.
- We had a successful PRIDE activity thanks’ to Marybeth who wrote the grant for us by us. The pumpkin fest was a grand slam. The pumpkins were very big and we had a great turn out. Board members, the mayor and Mike Puzio were in attendance. We need to plan for our next event. Sue Salny gave a good shout out to the community at last night’s board meeting.
- Election Day next Tuesday. Get your members out to vote
- Two schools were without heat last week which was brought to Donna Marie’s attention. We asked for the status and time line when the issues would be solved. McGann wrote back to us and said to make sure the students are taken care of. The heat is on at KDM & BW now. If there are any issues with the heat, please let Brian know
Minutes: A motion was made by Caroline Fehrman and seconded by Kristin Novembre and passed unanimously to accept the minutes from the October 13, 2016 meeting. Copies of the minutes were emailed to each member and copied for today’s meeting.
Treasurer’s Report: The Treasurer’s Report was handed out. As of November 3, 2016 we have $34,893.42 on hand. PAC money is the same as last month. A motion was made by Tara Van Orden and seconded by Kathy Thee. It was passed unanimously to accept the November 2016 Treasurer’s Report.
Correspondence: No report
Negotiations: Position still open. No report
PAC: Position still open. No report
Legislative: Position still open. Brian emails the MCCEA Legislative Update each month. Take the time to look it over
Grievance: Arbitration meeting for October 5th was cancelled. The next meeting will be held in January
Social: We will be having our December social on December 15th at DBO. We will be providing pizza.
- The pumpkin event was a hugh success. Brian sent Marybeth pictures of the evening since she was unable to attend.
- Special thank you to Dwyer for having their custodian help with the pumpkin delivery. Hamilton Farms called at 11:00 to say they were delivering the pumpkins which was suppose to be delivered at 5:15.
- November 15th is the deadline to have other grants written
- Family Fun Night (Movie Night) is an idea we can possibly have. We can rent a popcorn machine, have face painting, and a photo booth.
- Our first Duck Race is in discussion to be held at Frog Falls at the Lazy River in Picatinny. Thanks to Jen Mendez who has been speaking with the liaison who is very interested in hosting our event which will be held the Saturday before Memorial Day weekend. We may be able to ask the Substance Abuse Committee for assistance in helping fund this event. John Titus is willing to wear a Duck suit at the event.
- As of November 3rd we have 482 members
- 199 members are custodians, staff assistants, and secretaries
- 283 members are teachers or other professionals
- Joyce gave a printout of membership changes as of November 3rd for each school
Philanthropic: Balance to date as of November 3rd is: $14,023.75 which includes the Louisiana collection of $779.00. Joyce has been trying to contact someone to come pick up our collection and finally got someone from Essex County to come collect our LA contribution and take a picture with us.
- Assistance of Families in Need – We sent a check to the Lombardi family
- Scholarship Recipients – Amount of $500.00 each: John Mogavero has not cashed his check in the amount of $500.00
Website: No report.
Family Leave: We have one family leave
Quartermaster: Shirt order closed on the first. We collected $2300.00
IC: We had a very brief meeting. Responsive classroom as discussed for the November 8th PD day. There was a discussion on how to fit in the Morning Meeting, if there is a special each day or for the departmentalized grades, if you switch right after homeroom. If needed, teachers will need to talk to principals to discuss scheduling.
- Writer’s Workshop in grade 1 being piloted
- Colleen Flannery resigned as IC rep
- Wording of purposes and procedures need to be revised. The words can be used against us in the future.
- Next meeting will be held January 18, 2017
Evaluations: No report. If any issues arise with observations, let us know
- Air quality discussed
- Asbestos documents dumped and we will have to review
- KDM has laminator on all day with no vents or windows and staff is breathing in the air
- Still experiencing sub shortage. Brian asked for data to be collected monthly and forwarded to him
- The ESP Dinner will be held on Thursday, November 17th at the Birchwood Manor at 4:30 for all secretaries, staff assistants, custodian and maintenance members. An E-brite was sent to all reps to forward to all the ESP’s in their building.
Staff Assistants: Question was asked if other schools were allowed to send their staff assistants to cover in other schools.
Secretaries: No report
Maintenance/Custodial: No report. It was mentioned that Bob Evans will be leaving Rockaway Township. Bob will be moving his family to Missouri after the holidays. He will be truly missed
BW: Terry sent an email asking for communications regarding the heating issue at Birchwood. Jeanne and Terry were called to a meeting with Dr. McGann and they did not have answers to the questions that were asked them. At this time the procedure is Dr. McGann is to deal with Brian and not go to the school reps first. Dr. McGann broke protocol
- We have a meeting with Dr. McGann on November 15th. We will let him know that if he has an issue with us that he should talk to us. We will then go to the schools to discuss the outcome
CAD: No report
KDM: Can teachers fill in for staff assistants were asked. Administration said it was in compliance
DBO: Novice teacher project was not made clear. There is a concern that they will not be able to meet the deadlines. The mentors are not aware of these requirements and they feel they should be made aware to help support the new teachers.
SB: No report
CMS: Should we bring up that staff would be willing to cover preps for staff that miss theirs. Not a good idea to bring up. After you put in a certain amount of hours you would get paid for it.
Meeting adjourned at 5:12 p.m. Motion made by Jennifer Mendes and seconded by Kelly Bezeg
Next Meeting: Thursday, December 15, 2016